Friday, January 06, 2006

ah palm trees.

so, here i sit, outside, at a barnes and noble, just to use the internet. it's fabulous. i'm wearing short sleeves and flip flops and only catch the slightest chill every once in a while.

i've recenlty had to explain a lot of my decisions to a lot of different people. for one. my no dating policy right now. to clarify, this was not a really publicly known adventure. i told my friend tim, in june i think, that i was going to not date all the way through new years eve. at one point or another, i found both of us doubting my strength to get through that decision. at one point i was thinking, "what am i, STUPID?" but it never failed that even if i thought i wanted to date a guy, i knew my commitment i had made and knew it was for the best. i just wanted to focus on getting a different job and being more successful in my own life. i am a VERY strong believer that you don't have to be married or dating to be happy or whole. call me crazy but i haven't dated anyone in over six months and this is the happiest i've been in a while. i'm not going to lie to you though, the 'scenery' is a little more appealing out here. i give it two weeks until i crack.

i had to explain all of that in order to explain this next kind of odd, funny situation. as i'm sitting at a table outsiide of b&n, at the table to one side of me is a couple of girls, smoking, drinking their starbucks and speaking russian. actually i'm pretty sure they are talking about me. ah well, i'll never see them again. at the table to the other side of me is a woman who just got off the phone and during her conversation (which i was not evesdropping, or however you spell it, we are just sitting 3 feet away from each other) during her conversation she's on the phone with a guy who she repeatedly asked - in a very bitter voice - "why doesn't anyone want to be my boyfriend!? no one want's to be my boyfriend! why can't i have a boyfriend?!? should i call him?? he hasn't called me all day, maybe i'll call him. okay, i promise, i won't call him. i just want to have coffee with him. maybe i should call him. okay, i promise, i won't call him." and then she hangs up. from there, she hangs up the phone and immediately started dialing another number. the phone never had a chance to hit the table. and the message she left was, "hi, it's me. i guess, no coffee today? (enter 30 second silence) bye." ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? this is why you're single! at what point is it acceptable for me to lean over and say, 'hi, psycho, um, you've just reach psycho status and to him and all of his friends, he's probably referring to you as a stalker. or at least that's what i would do if i were in his shoes." but i held back, bit my tongue and wrote it on my blog for anyone to read.

hmmm what else is new...i'm heading to southern cali tomorrow, i'll be there for 24 hours and then i fly from santa ana to san jose and i'm in the bay area for THREE weeks. and i'm sharing a two bedroom apartment with someone i've never met, and come to find out, doesn't work for the same store. i feel like i may have told you all this before but there you have it.

okay, it's 230pm and i have to go pack all my crap from my friends house. plus, i'm getting a little chilly. and by chilly, i mean it must be lower 60's :o)

wanting to be the next advocate for living single,

katie

"why doesn't anyone want to be my boyfriend?!?" you freak!

4 Comments:

At 7:09 PM , Blogger Pages In Time Forever said...

keep rubbing it in, you dufus!! palm trees. HA! who needs them??!? hope you're having fun. don't forget to call. or write. or something. heck, don't forget there's a state called indiana, huh?? love you & miss you!

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Tammy McMullen said...

Kate,you crack me up. I miss having you around, it is not the same without you. Though I do have to say I don't feel sorry for you since you are sitting outside in flip flops, I can dream right? Be careful on the rest of your trip!
Love ya!

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger Woolston Gallery said...

Apparantly that "stalker" lady never saw the movie "10 ways to lose a guy" ( i Think that was the name)She really needs that DVD bad.
Aren't palm trees great? Wearing only a sweater( over your clothes of course), and designer sunglasses follow as a close second. Glad you are enjoying the weather and the "scenery". Remember we are only 360 miles away( 6 hrs ).
Love, Aunt Babs

 
At 8:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not the kind that says I told ya so, BUT...

I TOLD YA SO!!!!!

Palm trees, warm ocean breezes, AHHHHH! Welcome to paradise (although, you ARE on the WRONG coastline....)

Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home