Wednesday, January 18, 2006

the sushi experience


so, i went to dinner tonight with my friends tim and brian. we went for sushi in palo alto. i love that town. here's the story. i've had sushi one time before without issue. that time, i was with my friends in southern california, and they ordered for me. (thanks ben & sarah!) this time. i didn't really know what, or how, to order. so, i ordered teryaki chicken, i know, i know, not sushi but it was safe. my friends got the sushi and i kinda picked off their plates. so, i grab the first thing and down it goes. so, as soon as i swallow, i feel this familiar feeling in my lips. ah, an allergic reation. fabulous. so, as to not alarm anyone, i just sat back and relaxed to see what i've done to myself. after a while, my friend tim, a paramedic, caught on and continually checked in. i don't know if it was the fish or the avacado but my lips were certainly swelling.

so, i did what i normally do, i drank really cold beverages until the swelling stopped. so, after dinner, we walked down the street, went to borders, got starbucks and then i started feeling a bit ill. my stomach was turning. it was like i swallowed a bowling ball. i don't really know what that means, but i'm sure it's a tumor. i'm a hypochondric, what do you want from me?

so, it's now two hours later and i'm still not feeling too hot. my bottom lip hurts really badly, throbbing quite a bit and feels like i've gotten clocked in the face. and my stomach has this incredible pressure like i swallowed a sponge or one of those pill things that we had as kids. you know. the ones where they look like tylenol but you drop them in water and they expand greatly and turn into a dog or a dinosaur. you know? i feel like i have a whole barnyard hanging out in there. it's not fabulous.

with a moo moo here, and a quack quack there,
katie

2 Comments:

At 9:09 AM , Blogger Woolston Gallery said...

Angelina Jolie eat your heart out.You need silicon to get that big lip look all Holt's need is an allergen! It must run in the family I get it from sulfa. Lips look like a folded over inner tube.
FYI it's called an angioneurotic edema response...no I didn't say Angelinanuerotic edema...though it sort of fits.
(Carry some benedryl 25 mg with you.It's an over the counter antihistamine. If you start swelling pop in a couple. They work good but make you sleepy)

 
At 11:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm apparently only allergic to newly transplanted organs. My lips didn't swell though. I also don't have the "angioneurotic" thing... I'm just plain neurotic.

Sushi has been one of my all time favorite foods. Unhappily, I'm not allowed to eat it anymore. Apparently there are a lot of bacterial bugs in sushi and, with no immune system, it makes eating it a bit too risky. So, enjoy LOTS of it for me! (Who cares if your lips enter a room 5 minutes before you do? It's WORTH it!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home